Unnakaya / Stuffed Banana Fritters – Recipe Book
Unnakaya (stuffed Banana Fritters) is an authentic tasty Malabar snack. It a very popular
ifthar dish also. There are many different types of filling for Unnakaya. Choose the banana’s which are ripe but not too much. Other wise the texture may get spoiled and you cant able o handle it as a dough.
Kerala ripe banana-3nos (medium ripened)
- Cashew nuts chjopped-2bsp
- Grated coconut-2tbsp
- Cardamom powder-a pinch
- Grated jaggery-4tbsp (or sugar)
- Oil-for deep frying
- Steam cook bananas without removing its skin on a idli pan for 20 minutes.
- Mean while heat half of the ghee in a pan, scramble the eggs with little grated jaggery in it.
- Keep it aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee and add cashew nuts.
- Sauté for a minute and add coconut grated, grated jaggery, raisins and scrambled eggs.
- Mix well for 3 minutes switch off the flame.
- When the banana’s are cooked, peel the skin, remove the inner seeds and mash the pulp in to a fine paste.
- If it is too smooth (watery) to handle with your hands add a tablespoon of rice powder in to this and mix well.
- Now grease your palm with little oil or water.
- Take a lemon sized banana dough and flatten it.
- In its middle put a small portion of coconut filling.
- Now cover the dough, seal the edges and just roll it in to a cylindrical shape.
- Do same with rest of all dough and filling.
- Deep fry it in hot oil until both sides are golden in color.
- Don’t flip to the other side quickly; then unnakaya may get broken.
- Drain in to paper towels and serve with a cup of tea.:
- Note: If the banana’s are too mushy and if you cant able to manage the dough with your hands; add little rice flour with it.
Unnakaya / Stuffed Banana Fritters
Reviewed by Unknown